bg   En  

  Central Exposition

    The Museum of History in Asenovgrad was settled in 1971 in the purposely adapted building, built in 1895 as the House of the Army officer. The Exposition of 1,000 museum units is displayed on an area of 200 sq m in three halls and three Departments in the Museum.
  Department of Archeology gives information about human life in our region in a period of 7000 BC. The stone and bone implements, religious and household items are shown here. The Museum's ceramics from the Neolithic period astound with a beauty and bold creative solutions. The exposed works of prehistoric cult plastic and zoomorphic vessels are very characteristic. The find at the village of Muldava - a ceramic vessel in the shape of a deer - is really exclusive.
  Stone axes with holes, bone flat idols, ceramics and more show the human development during the Chalcolithic. The clay female Idol, a symbol of fertility, with the artistic natural deformation of the body attracts our particular interest as an object of a cult.
  Thracians from the tribe Bessi are holders of the Bronze and later Hallstatt culture in this region. From this era, there are models of protective and offensive weapons, a collection of marble votive plates, etc. A small statuette of Telesphorus is unique in its kind; he is a God of health, who attracts visitors with his enigmatic smile.
 


      The most significant traces of Thracian material culture were from the period of the Roman rule when the ancient settlement on the today’s town territory reached its zenith. The Thracian mound funeral with a four-wheeled chariot and a rich funerary outfit was dated back to the 1st century AD.
  The Middle Ages is presented by the findings, discovered during archaeological excavations of the Asen's fortress and murals - copies of the ossuary of Bachkovo Monastery and the Asen's fortress.
  The Department of Ethnography presents national costumes, ornaments, fabrics and articles of the lifestyle, that impress with the harmonious combination of colours, with the simplicity of form and workmanship. Temporary exhibitions of martenitsi, survachki, clothes and knitting and other are arranged with the exhibits from the Museum.
  During the Renaissance the Bulgarian population in the town created a rich spiritual and material culture and led the struggle for the independent Bulgarian Church and Education. Bako Dincho Kuzmov’s photos - a founder of the Bulgarian municipality, Zhelyu Tyanev - a rabel.
  Otton Ivanov and Sava Katrafilov- Vasil Levski’s companions, Pavel Kostov and father Matey Todorov - members of the Secret Revolutionary Committee, talk about the independent spirit of the population.
  On the 18th of January, 1878 the defeat assault of Russian troops led by the General Viktor Desiderovich Dandevil and the General Krasnov brought the freedom. But the unfair Treaty of Berlin divided Bulgarian lands and Asenovgrad remained within the borders of the Eastern Rumelia. Under the leadership of the Secret Revolutionary Committee, headed by Nikola Krastev and priest Angel Cholakov, on the 6th of September, 1885, a detachment from 2000 fighters from Asenovgrad area went to Plovdiv and participated in the proclamation of the Compound.